Proposal of new forum

• Thank you received: 40

Regnak created the topic: Proposal of new forum

Hello dear VTES players,

I have a proposal for you : a brand new forum !

The current one is nice (Joomla/Kunena), but it is not really adapted to our current needs, at least imho. Being on a website with only one forum, I have the perfect product for us : XenForo. I have an extra licence, so we can use it for vtes.be. :)

XenForo is much more social : integrated comments, private messages, status and mood changes, likes (facebook style), and much more. :)

I have tested it personnally with a community of 30 active players, and it worked great.
Our community growing (yes yes !), I thought it would be a cool idea to have it here :)

Here is a link to test it : (removed for privacy) (a domain I have just for testing ... ;) )

Lemme know what you think about it, please.

The only drawback is we would loose all our current and past topics (and members ...). :(
There is a complex way to keep them ... so if you really want to keep the posts, I can convert Kunena to XenForo (hopefully ! lol).

Thanks for your input on this.

-Luke-

-Eris in peste patronus-
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 55

gotcha replied the topic: Proposal of new forum

It's great Luke that you are still looking for improvement! Personally this forum works fine for me: I think it is clear, I like the sections, .... and by now I am kind of used to it - )
But if you think the other one is better somehow and you feel like switching ... sure. As you said yourself, I think most important ting is not to lose or confuse to many (occasional) members of the forum we have now. Thanks for checking out stuff for us anyway!
  • Thank you received: 42

squirrel replied the topic: Proposal of new forum

I'm in favor of switching.

This forum isn't htat bad, but the private messaging isn't any good. I've stopped using it.

and though We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
~Tennyson~

Regnak replied the topic: Proposal of new forum

Thanks !

Have you tried the test forum ? What do you think about it ?

If enough people want to do the change, I think we can do it at the end of this month ? Just after our ECQ ? So not too many people get confused ... just a thought :)

-Eris in peste patronus-
  • Thank you received: 45

D- replied the topic: Proposal of new forum

Regnak wrote: Thanks !

Have you tried the test forum ? What do you think about it ?

If enough people want to do the change, I think we can do it at the end of this month ? Just after our ECQ ? So not too many people get confused ... just a thought :)

Will the history of threads be preserved? Can you export that here and import in the other forum? just read the full message. Before we switch, we should check who are the users now. I know people that still don't have an account here :(
Let's first see if it's an actual improvement. From what I've picked up, this is important:
- clear view of the threads: new threads mark, threads marked as read,...
- color scheme: not a green font on a black background :evil:
- pm system: preferrably one that forwards the message to an email-account.
- any other?

Regnak replied the topic: Proposal of new forum

Thanks for the interrest you show ! :)

To answer your questions :
- all thread are clearly marked as read and non read. There is even a section with all the unread topics.
- color schemes : there are hundreds of them on the web for XenForo. I'll try to find one that looks VTES-like ;)
- pm is definately a plus : you are warned by email each time a new conversation is started. I can confirm this.
- others : a lot of mods exists like photo galleries, probably a better calendar ^^

The toughest part (for me), will be to keep all our topics and users. But heh, I can't resist a challenge. :P

EDIT : would this one be a nice Style ? http://www.bluepearl-skins.com/xenforo/misc/style?style_id=45

-Eris in peste patronus-
Time to create page: 0.051 seconds