No print-on-demand for VTES

• Thank you received: 58

emime created the topic: No print-on-demand for VTES

Dear all,

Sad news... The negotiations to bring our beloved game back in print via a print on demand programme have failed :(

This means the VEKN will have to proceed with the "old" plan of free PDF printable expansions: the first one, "Danse Macabre", that was put on hold for a long time, should be out very soon, and will be allowed in official tournaments.

You can see the official announcement (sigh...) here .

Emiliano "Sans Terre" - Wandering Player - Prince of Brussels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 45

D- replied the topic: No print-on-demand for VTES

We hope to get more new at the EC in 2 weeks.

• Thank you received: 44

squirrel replied the topic: No print-on-demand for VTES

Emiliano,

I sense you feel bad about this. I'm actually quite happy for the following reasons:

1) NEW cards! Hurray!!!
2) Free cards! Hurray!!!
3) It will probably be out in less than a month!
4) No print on demand: The cards we have will not lose their value.

Unless I've missed something, I'm guessing this was an excellent outcome.

and though We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
~Tennyson~

• Thank you received: 45

D- replied the topic: No print-on-demand for VTES

squirrel wrote: Emiliano,

I sense you feel bad about this. I'm actually quite happy for the following reasons:

1) NEW cards! Hurray!!!
2) Free cards! Hurray!!!
3) It will probably be out in less than a month!
4) No print on demand: The cards we have will not lose their value.

Unless I've missed something, I'm guessing this was an excellent outcome.

Things are a bit more complicated than that.
1. That we will get new cards is definitely good. Although I don't think we are at the end of all possible viable decks with the current card pool.
2. These cards will not be free. You still need to print them. For tournament play, sleeves will be required (print on thin paper, and put an Ascendance or Eyes of the Dead in the sleeve).
3. As usual when new sets come out, there is a 30 day waiting period for the cards to be used in tournament play. That will not stop us from wrecking the local meta with those sweet new cards. When the set is announced, I will look for a date to have a tournament where the new cards will be allowed. I guess that would be beginning of december.
4. No cards will lose value. Why would I want to buy a reprinted Monsatery of Shadwos when I can collect an original one? Collector's value still remains, even with POD. And it was unlikely that POD would have been released for the whole card pool.

So yay!
New cards!
I can't wait for the first 'ehrmagehrd, that kherd is bareukhen' shouts B)

• Thank you received: 44

squirrel replied the topic: No print-on-demand for VTES

D- wrote: 1. That we will get new cards is definitely good. Although I don't think we are at the end of all possible viable decks with the current card pool.

Definately. I'm discovering new cards and deck ideas every week basis. I'd probably build a ton more decks if I had more time and cards. To be honest, this comes a bit to soon for me. I'm still in the process of discovering all the existing cards.

D- wrote: 2. These cards will not be free. You still need to print them. For tournament play, sleeves will be required (print on thin paper, and put an Ascendance or Eyes of the Dead in the sleeve).

Printing cards is only a marginal cost. It pales in comparison to the price one pays for a booster or sealed deck. Granted, you'll need seeves. But I always play with sleeves anyways. So for me, that's not a extra cost. And lets be honest: what would we otherwise do with our copies of Ascendance or Eyes of the Dead? I did just start wondering about how it we be like to play the cards. I mean, I always feel bad when I play a proxy card. I know I don't own the card, so it doesn't feel like I should be playing it. That's why I try to limit the numberr of proxies in a deck (usually less than 5 on a full crypt + library). I do wonder how I will feel about playing "fake cards" like these.

D- wrote: 3. As usual when new sets come out, there is a 30 day waiting period for the cards to be used in tournament play. That will not stop us from wrecking the local meta with those sweet new cards. When the set is announced, I will look for a date to have a tournament where the new cards will be allowed. I guess that would be beginning of december.

For new players (yes, I still consider myself a newb) this is a good thing. Although december is usually quite busy due to the holidays.

D- wrote: 4. No cards will lose value. Why would I want to buy a reprinted Monsatery of Shadwos when I can collect an original one? Collector's value still remains, even with POD. And it was unlikely that POD would have been released for the whole card pool.

I disagree. Monsatery of Shadwos is so expensive because it's a good card and it's rare to find. It's basicly a supply versus demand market. Supply is lower than the deamand, so the price goes up until they are so expensive that both get balanced out again. If there would be an unlimited supply,; demand will drop and prices will fall. Sure, there will still be people wanting "an original one". Those people are only a fraction of the interested people,w hich mean that prices would still be dropping.

D- wrote: I can't wait for the first 'ehrmagehrd, that kherd is bareukhen' shouts B)

I had to read that at least 3 times before I got it ;)

and though We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
~Tennyson~

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds