Rules: damage, aggravated damage and torpor

• Thank you received: 31

2wayspeaker created the topic: Rules: damage, aggravated damage and torpor

I'm still confused about this.

1) Let's say combat commences, I play a Trap for 3 rounds of combat, nobody plays any additional strikes/rounds.
My strike is 2 aggravated damage during the first round of combat and would be normal hand strikes during the additional 2 rounds.
What happens?

Currently I think the opposing vamp inflicts 1 on me, I send him to torpor and make him burn 1. Combat ends after the first round, the last 2 hand strikes that I wanted to inflict never happen.

2)Let's say combat commences, I play a Blur for 2 additional strikes during the first and only round of combat, nobody plays any additional strikes/rounds.
My first of three strikes is 2 aggravated damage, my second is a hand strike and my last strike is also a hand strike.
What happens?

I'm thinking that even though I inflict 2 aggravated first, combat does not end because damage is only calculated at the end of a round, because the opponent still gets a chance to heal damage after all strikes are taken. But let's say the opponent does nothing: my vamp takes 1 damage, his vamp goes to torpor and takes 3 damage, if that vamp is unable to burn 3 blood it is burned on its way to torpor.

Are both lines of reasoning correct? If not please elaborate (Please note: this question isn't about range or presses so don't involve these, the opponent is cardless and can only use handstrikes to simplify any explanatory problems)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 19

peter_v replied the topic: Rules: damage, aggravated damage and torpor

well, if no other cards are played (prevention/strike:combat ends/rottshreck/...)
the vampire goes to torpor in the damage resolution step (first agg sends him to torpor and he burns a blood for each additional point of agg dmg, if he can't burn the blood, the vampire burns)
combat ends if one of the combatants goes to torpor

2wayspeaker replied the topic: Rules: damage, aggravated damage and torpor

And he also burns blood for each normal damage right?

So this means a straight and sound YES, both of those examples are correct?

In general combat can be seen as a set of windows in which a card can be played.
They are:
  1. start of a round of combat
  2. pre maneuver -> Carrion Crows
  3. maneuver -> Flash
  4. pre strike -> Immortal Grapple
  5. srtike -> supperior Acrobatics
  6. damage resolution -> Rolling with the punches
  7. additional strikes (go to 5 for each strike)-> supperior Acrobatics (if it was your strike), Blur
  8. press -> from the immportal grapple, Boxed in
  9. end of a round of combat -> Taste of vitae , if pressed, go back to 1

you'll see that there steps are monitored to the point between 2 combat heavy decks. Between decks without much combat (and out of competitive play), steps are quickly skipped
The following user(s) said Thank You: squirrel

2wayspeaker replied the topic: Rules: damage, aggravated damage and torpor

But damage resolution only happens when al strikes for a round have been dealt right? Additional round of combat happens after damage resolution but before presses right?

It doesnt make sense for strikes to happen after damage resolution, this means there is no distinct difference between rounds and strikes in terms of damage dealt.

So is it a yes no on my original examples? Expand on why/why not.

check out: How to Resolve a Combat
on: www.vekn.net/complete-rules-reference
(vtes combat can be scary the first few times, but it'll all get clearer after a few games)

2wayspeaker wrote: 1) Let's say combat commences, I play a Trap for 3 rounds of combat, nobody plays any additional strikes/rounds.
My strike is 2 aggravated damage during the first round of combat and would be normal hand strikes during the additional 2 rounds.
What happens?

Currently I think the opposing vamp inflicts 1 on me, I send him to torpor and make him burn 1. Combat ends after the first round, the last 2 hand strikes that I wanted to inflict never happen.

correct, i couldn't have put it better
the trap might have been a waste in such a clear case

2wayspeaker wrote: 2)Let's say combat commences, I play a Blur for 2 additional strikes during the first and only round of combat, nobody plays any additional strikes/rounds.
My first of three strikes is 2 aggravated damage, my second is a hand strike and my last strike is also a hand strike.
What happens?

I'm thinking that even though I inflict 2 aggravated first, combat does not end because damage is only calculated at the end of a round, because the opponent still gets a chance to heal damage after all strikes are taken. But let's say the opponent does nothing: my vamp takes 1 damage, his vamp goes to torpor and takes 3 damage, if that vamp is unable to burn 3 blood it is burned on its way to torpor.

no, damage is done after strikes are chosen and before any additional strikes

2wayspeaker wrote: And he also burns blood for each normal damage right?
So this means a straight and sound YES, both of those examples are correct?

yes, he burns blood for each additional point of agg dmg after going to torpor
and no, the second example wasn't correct

2wayspeaker wrote: But damage resolution only happens when al strikes for a round have been dealt right? Additional round of combat happens after damage resolution but before presses right?

dmg resolution happens after both combatants have chosen a strike
additional rounds happen after a round with successful presses

2wayspeaker wrote: It doesn't make sense for strikes to happen after damage resolution, this means there is no distinct difference between rounds and strikes in terms of damage dealt.
So is it a yes no on my original examples? Expand on why/why not.

Trust me, it makes sense. You'll run in to some crazy combats cards.
the difference is that additional strikes happen at the same range as the initial strike (and under roughly the same circumstances). When a new round starts, effects like the superior immortal grapple take effect (and a bunch of other cards).

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds